Sunday, October 2

Dog Bed, Chevron Print & Piping

Over the past 21 months we have gone through quite a number of dog beds. I cannot lie when I say I'm thankful to have the ability to sew. With my endless browsing of the internet for fabrics and sewing blogs I continually see the Chevron print and I'm dying to use it somewhere in my apartment. Well, that chance came with the most recent destroying of Dixie's bed. (I do not promote the destroying of dog beds, sometimes it just happens)

When it came down to the design of this new dog bed I knew I wanted the following features: 
þ Rectangle shape  
þ Zipper closer
þ Piping/Cording around the edges
þ NO STUFFING!

Most of those requests are doable, no problem - but how is a bed supposed to be comfortable?? That's when I came around to the Molly Mutt site and I knew I had to make this for myself. 

Here is the adventure of making Dixie's *NEW* Dog Bed:

All the supplies: Approximately 10 T-Shirts, Pins, Rotary Cutter, Scissors, Piping (96 inches),  Cutting Mat & Ruler,  22 inch zipper, Fabric (1 yard, 44 inches wide for outside) (1/2 yard for piping/cording) and Muslin (1 yard, 33 inch wide)

Sewing completed! 



I've never shown my showing machine before.. Here's the beauty! 

Up close picture of the zipper - I chose a brown zipper for this project.

Up close pictures of the piping/cording - The corners were tough! 

Muslin sack for inside the bed to hold the T-Shirts. 

Inserting the T-Shirts into the Muslin sack. 

The bed is stuffed and ready for use! 

Dixie on her *new* bed! 


I do not think she was prepared for pictures today, maybe another day.

Another picture of Dixie on the *new* bed!! Check out that piping/cording! 


Happy Sewing!
Kady







Here is a quick review of the dog beds of the past: 
Our first homemade "Modern" dog bed

Second, outdoor fabric with grippers on bottom to prevent mid-travel sliding in the crate

Third, only store bought bed from Florida - LOVED the fabric

2 comments:

Sting said...

Chew proof dog beds are ideal for the dog whose favorite past time it is to chew on his bed. These beds are like no other and are preferred by breeders, veterinarians, kennels and experienced owners.

Candace said...

I love these! I sew, also, and have never made my Annabelle a good bed! I'm doing it! Thanks for the tutorial. She doesnt chew them, they get smelly :-\. These will wash well!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...